Yep. You read the post title right…we’re making peppermint hot chocolate oatmeal today. This is not a drill.
I was looking for a holiday-inspired breakfast recipe that wasn’t too decadent but still was delicious and reminiscent of this time of year. As I was sipping out of my Starbucks red cup (duh) and looking through my pantry for inspiration, I came across my steel cut oats and it hit me! Why not combine one of the most delicious holiday drinks (peppermint hot cocoa) with one of the most cozy breakfast foods (oatmeal)?!
This recipe couldn’t be easier to put together and it’s the perfect festive breakfast to make on a weekend during the holiday season. I used quick-cooking whole grain steel cut oats, but you could use any type of oatmeal you have on hand. Just prepare your oatmeal according the the package instructions, mix in the peppermint extract, cacao powder and brown sugar and enjoy!
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 cup whole wheat steel cut oats
- ⅛ tsp peppermint extract
- 1 Tbsp cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp brown sugar
- Mini marshmallows and crushed candy cane for garnish
- In a medium pot over medium-high heat, bring the almond milk to a boil.
- Add the oats, cover and reduce the heat to low.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes until the oats have absorbed all of the almond milk.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the peppermint extract, cacao powder and brown sugar.
- Transfer to serving bowls and garnish with mini marshmallows and crushed candy cane.