One of my coworkers had her last day at the office a couple of months ago and in celebration of her next adventure, I made her a homemade funfetti cake. I used this recipe which turned out AMAZING but I decided to decorate it using a fun homemade cake topper that couldn’t be easier to put together.
- 2 twelve-inch wooden skewers (I used these)
- Cute string/twine of your choice (I used this bakers twine in blue and white)
- Washi tape in a color of your choice (I used this metalic gold color)
- Cut off a 12-16 inch piece of string. Note: for a smaller cake, you want the string to be shorter, so you can adjust the length based on cake size and your preference.
- Wrap a couple of inches of the string around the top of one of the skewers and tie in a knot to secure. Wrap the other end of the string around the top of the other skewer and use a dot of glue to secure.
- Cut 1-inch pieces of washi tape. Because my message was “YAY,” I cut three pieces of tape, but you can cut more depending on your message for the topper.
- Place the pieces of cut washi tape sticky side up on your work surface and place the string that connects the skewers in the center of each piece of washi tape. Fold the tape in half, sandwiching the string in the middle, and secure.
- Using your scissors, cut a little triangle out of the bottom of the folded washi tape for a cute banner effect.
- Stick the skewers into your cake and enjoy!